Chesterfield Charter Township is located in Macomb County.
- Population: 43,381 (2010 Census)
- Demographics: 13,347 households 43% with children under the age of 18.
- Geography: 27.9 square miles
- Government: Board of Trustees and Township Supervisor
- Education: Anchor Bay School District, L'Anse Cruise School District, New Haven Community Schools (partial)
- Public Safety: 19 career firefighters and 15 part-time firefighters, under a chief and the director of Public Safety.
- Zip codes: 48047 and 48501
- Area code: 586
Learn more at the official web site.
With the signature of President Thomas Jefferson on January 11, 1805, Michigan became a separate territory. For a brief period beginning in 1834, the Michigan Territory included Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and part of the Dakotas! In 1837, the “rabbit-and-mitten” territory we know as Michigan became the 26th state in the union.
A hamlet called “Chesterfield” was first settled in the 1830s and formally organized in 1842. When the Grand Trunk Railroad came through in 1865, business development was stimulated and the community grew. It had its own Post Office from 1875 until 1907.
Learn more at the Chesterfield Historical Society